Friday 20 March 2009

Promoted out of the bathroom?

Every Thursday a group of 7 friends get together and paint at our condo. One, Lorraine, is an artist, and she introduces us to new techniques and guides our attempts at making beautiful art. We've been meeting since 2005 and we began working with water-colours, then last year Lorraine started us on acrylics.

I don't think I'm alone in being dissatisfied with many of my paintings. Most creative people seem to feel that way about their own work - but that's good because it makes you want to improve. I joke whenever I bring home my latest attempt, that here's another one for the bathroom wall.

Patricia brought in a beautiful double-panelled painting that she had bought on holiday last year, and the whole group fell in love with it and wanted to paint their own. Everyone had different ideas and used individual techniques, which was fascinating. I finished my own 2-panel piece using gesso, acrylics and Chinese ink yesterday. It's one of my favourites ever, and I really think it might make it out of the bathroom!

1 comment:

Tamara said...

That is beautiful! Yes it shouldn't be in the bathroom, unless it is a lovely spa like bathroom where you can lounge in a great big tub and gaze at that. I love the color and the texture.