Saturday 14 March 2009

Rainbows and Moonbows

Earlier it suddenly started rumbling (the sky, not the construction) out of an apparently blue sunny sky. It does this sometimes. You have to go and look out of the window on the other side of the building to see the storm-clouds. And there were two ends of a lovely rainbow. Of course, being the tropics, by the time I got my camera it had faded to this:


Can't see it? Neither can I, but it's there, just above the two buildings on the far edges. Ah well.

We did better with the moon. On Wednesday it was full moon. Full moons in the tropics are incredibly dramatic and compelling. (They also seem to herald the craziest driving behaviour, but that's another story!) A few nights later we were just going to bed, when I saw a bright rectangle of light on the floor and went to the window to look up. You kind of have to, don't you?

And there it was, just past perfection, with the top left "corner" clearly showing its craters. The mackerel clouds around it glowed with muted rainbow colours, and I ran for my camera. Although it was past bedtime and DH had to be up at stupid o'clock in the morning, he was just as enthusiastic and went to get his proper camera with the telephoto lens and fancy doo-dahs.

Here's my moonbow photo:


Here's his fancy schmancy beautiful crater photo, without a tripod:


Just wow, huh?

No comments: